Loads of bitcoins were created after a weakness was found in a bitcoin client. They were subsequently removed when a new better chain overtook.
- A bug in the system resulted in two bitcoin networks working at the same time with their own version of transaction history. This issue was resolved by downgrading to an older version.
- Many websites started using bitcoins.
- The first bitcoin ATM was installed in Vancouver, Canada.
- 12 million bitcoins in total.
- Total market capitalization of bitcoin was more than US$10 billion.
- The bitcoin exchange service “Coinbase” launched the first regulated bitcoin exchange in 25 US states on 26 January 2015.
- In August 2015 it was announced that Barclays would become the first UK high street bank to start accepting bitcoin, with the bank revealing that it plans to allow users to make charitable donations using the currency.